Be a Trustee
The charity is overseen by a board of volunteer trustees. They are responsible for strategic oversight and development of YiS and come with the expertise and/or enthusiasm to help us better support young people’s mental health in Milton Keynes. If you are interested in becoming a trustee, or would like to find out more, please do contact us.
Be a Counsellor
We take on trainee counsellors in their final year of study, and qualified counsellors who are listed on the BACP Register. All volunteers must be members of the BACP (student, member or accredited member) and follow the Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions 2018.
Ideally, we look for people with experience working with young people aged 11-21 in either a counselling or other supportive environment.
If you fit the above criteria, please do send us a copy of your CV, including all relevant information, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Once you have done this, someone will be in touch within 5 working days to discuss how we may proceed.
- Access to a wide client group with a range of issues, who have all been through an Initial Meeting to make sure we match clients to appropriate counsellors
- Monthly group supervision (free)
- Monthly 1:1 supervision costs (up to £40 per month)
- Travel expenses to and from sessions and supervision (up to a maximum of £8.50 per return journey)
- Numerous CPD opportunities throughout the year
- Administrative and practical support
- Information, advice and guidance on therapeutic issues, relevant legislation and any aspect of your volunteering experience
Feedback from Volunteer Counsellors
“Well organised and a safe space to work in with consistent reliable back-up and support. It’s enjoyable to feel that we’re all working together as a team”
“Very organised diary, great support”
“I find the YiS staff and so supportive and helpful. The electronic systems that support my work is really helpful”
“Thorough support both professionally and personally as well as knowledge of all things legislation”
“I enjoy getting to know other volunteers and learning from each other. Also the support of staff when needed. It’s a very welcoming team, that I have loved being a part of”
“I really value group supervision for the exchange of experience and insights with other counsellors and a space to think through and explore things together”